zimmerzblogz

Thursday, March 22, 2007

What I learned from Making a Picnic Table

Not given to wood working of any kind last winter I got this idea in my head that I would commense to make my family a picnic table. Never mind that I have not taken one minute of shop class in my life, but I figured that I've been in the ministry for over 14 years - what can be so hard about a picnic table? I got these plans free online, so I ran them off. Next thing you know I'm at Lowes buying lumber, screws, nuts, and washers!

Well, Saturday came and away I went. Getting the first "A frame" going was not so easy, but I quickly got my head in the ball game after that and it was all down hill from there. This week I put the primer and white paint on and well...it looks great if I say so myself. A lot better than maybe even I had given myself credit for. I'm hoping to put that little white beauty out in the back yard once the pin oak tree starts leafing up a bit more. I can't wait for my kids to eat their popscicles on it, have my neighbors over for cookouts, have my family out and just have an all around good time around that table.

What I learned about building the table.
You can learn new techniques and skills in your mid 30's. 2) you can dream of doing something and even do it even if you've never done it before, 3) I should have taken a little shop in high school but at least I have good buddies at Westlake that don't laugh at me when I ask basic questions, 4) I kept envisioning my family and neighbors around that table. I think my hope was that some day many would even be involved in a discussion of faith around that table. I'm pretty sure that was a huge motivating factor to start and complete this table. 5) If I can build a table - who knows what I could make or build next! Yikes, that sound scarry! Well, maybe if you're reading this you could bring the dogs and patties - I'll provide the table. No you won't break it!

1 Comments:

  • Isn't that the beauty of childlikeness? Not knowing when you don't know enough to do something really great?! No wonder Jesus points it out as a key quality for those entering His kingdom! I celebrate this accomplishment and the many more you will have as you embrace the dreamer in you!

    By Blogger Just A Girl, at 12:50 PM, March 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home