zimmerzblogz

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Forgiveness

The greatest power on all the earth is not embodied in fundamental Islam, nor is it found in American capitalism, it is not found in the warhead of an Iranian or North Korean missile - the greatest power known to man can be found in each man who chooses to forgive as Jesus forgave us. The meekness and forgiveness of Pennsylvanian Amish is power, the woman I met this week who is mothering her child who was birthed from a rape incident embodies power in her forgiving spirit, the wife I live with who bears with me in daily living emodies power in forgiveness, and the child I love but sometimes punish for misbehavior, who still calls me daddy, embodies power in her forgiving and understanding voice.

I had an incident in my own life not so long ago that has left me on a journey to forgive. I am quite sure that this world more readily accepts Christ than they would a Christian. Could it be that in Christ we receive a forgveness in the measure that we would like to be forgiven by our fellow man and to forgive our fellow man? I was driving down the road from work Friday and finally sensed from the Father that I need to fully forgive and press forward. Two and one-half years later. Amazing isn't it? It has taken me two years and it did not even take Him two seconds! Thanks God for forgiving us with the full measure of your love. Help us as your kids to embody this forgiving quality. Amen.

2 Comments:

  • Great post Matt.

    By Blogger J.R., at 9:22 AM, November 13, 2006  

  • Matt: As you say, forgiveness is embodied in the full measure of God's love at work in our lives. It is not an event, but a lifestyle! By that I mean, one does not have to determine whether or not to forgive every time something causes pain. Forgiveness has already been extended to those who, sometime in the future, do something that hurt me. That can only happen as the love of Christ is at work in my life. That is the only way someone can forgive the person that murdered a child or the person that raped a spouse. That is the only way that someone can ask a judge to be merciful to one who has committed a criminal act against myself or my loved ones.

    This kind of action will require us to stand alone when everyone around us is screaming for justice! This kind of action may bring ridicule, but it is what Christ chose to do as He modeled God's love from the Cross--"Father, forgive them for they don't know what they are doing." Thanks for reminding us of this virtue that makes us "god-like."

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:12 PM, January 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home