zimmerzblogz

Friday, July 21, 2006

Where'd You Get Those Super Guts?

So, I'm in this group talking about gutsy faith and how you can make some decisions and then sorta realize that maybe those decisions in life we make as Christians really aren't as super holy as we'd like to think. Often times we do things in this faith walk scared yet we trust? It's a bit hard to put the bat on the ball, but in chapter 1 of gutsy faith Jeff is asking what it means to have gutsy faith. What do you think gutsy faith is? I think gutsy faith is the kind of faith that day in and day out consistantly trusts in the soverign nature and good will of God for my life (Jer. 29:11).

On page 12 Jeff even talks about gutsy faith as something you live out even in times of great distress and trial. You just gotta plow through cuz you know God really is in control. Who in your life resembles the kind of faith that is gutsy?

Chapter 2 - we are asked to read John 11:1-43. The big question of God's "yes" - "no" - or "maybe" answering system is the issue here. Jeff's sorta idea is that God does desire to say "yes" to our prayer requests all the time. No before you go beating your head against the wall and call for excommunication - I think we should give Jeff a listen.

I know the whole garden scene plays in your mind, but here are some thoughts.

1.Even though you may not be a parent think about this from a parent's perspective. I really do desire to say "yes" to all my children's requests, BUT...I say no or maybe later BECAUSE my role as parent is PROTECTOR and PROVIDER.

2. The other thought that my friend Jenn brought up is "what's so wrong with no?" Good one! All I can say is chapter 2 was a whopper!

Chapter 3 - we were asked to read Matthew 14:13-23. The premise here is that the Father alway gives Jesus what He asks for...

Issues like intimacy with the Father and understanding how and what to pray creep up here.

The final question now in this post is this...If God always answered Jesus' requests with a yes, do you think it's possible for Him to answer all your requests with a yes? Why or why not?

Yep, I told you this was a good book!!!!

Let me hear from you, and by the way, I'm not too sure about the 'yes to every prayer thing, but as a parent I can understand where Jeff might be headed. Walk with me...

2 Comments:

  • Here's a thought on the discussion from Chapter 2 about God's yes's. I agree with Jeff based on some recent study on prayer, specifically reading the book "Prayer and Spiritual Warfare," (subtitle, Receiving Answeres to your Prayers) by E.M. Bounds.

    Here's a quote from him, "If Jesus dwells at the source of my life, if the flow of His life has replaced all of my life, then He can safely commit the praying to my will. If absolute obedience to Him is the inspiration and force of every movement of my life, then He will pledge Himself, by a duty as deep as His own nature, that whatever is asked is granted. Nothing can be clearer, more distinct, more unlimited both in application and extent, than the plea and urgency of Christ: 'Have faith in God' (Mark 11:22"

    Later in the book, Mr. Bounds addresses those moments that to us seem like "wait" or "no." He says this, "Yet, quite often, faith is too weak to obtain God's greatest good immediately. It has to wait in loving, strong, prayerful, pressing obedience until it grows in strength and is able to bring down the eternal into the areas of experience and time...In the matter of waiting in mighty prayer, faith rises to it's highest level and becomes the gift of God. It becomes the blessed character and expression of the soul that is secured by constant fellowshpi with and tireless requests to God."

    If you're getting a sense of "wait" or "no," the issue may very well not be that God doesn't want to fill your request, but you may have some growing to do before that request can be filled. Think about it!

    God's perspective is eternal, ours tends to be finite - if we don't get what we want RIGHT NOW, we leave the issue and assume it wasn't God's will, HMMMM. I think God is just waiting on the edge of Heaven to give us the deepest desires of our heart. We are often the reason we don't get it.

    By Blogger Just A Girl, at 2:28 PM, July 25, 2006  

  • Just a Girl,

    Two things you said struck me...1) "If absolute obedience to Him...." Do we (Christians) generally feel that absolute obedience is possible? This forces us to look at the sanctified life a bit closer, because if we are wrestling with daily sin (word, thought, or deed) then coming into consistant daily obedience is a dream. However, if one is under the Lordship of Christ (fully surrendered, etc) then the issue of sinning daily becomes mute and the believer seeks nothing but God's good, perfect and pleasing will even if "no" or "wait" enters the scene.

    2) you mentioned we often have a bit of growing to do before God says "yes." Parentally I can relate. My daughter at a younger age wanted to do "sleep overs" at friends house and I said no because she was not old enough or I was not confident enough that she could handle another environment in that context. Now she is older and a bit more ready, I am more inclined to say "yes" provided that her safety and her capability to "take care of herself" are assured in my mind. This is much like God with us! We must simply grow up!

    Good thoughts...

    By Blogger zimmerzblogz, at 7:18 AM, July 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home