zimmerzblogz

Monday, September 18, 2006

The Letter

Do you ever get into a situation with your kids where you know you've pretty much blown it? (That's retorical) Well, today I got into a jam and learned a valuable life and spiritual lesson with my girls. See, my girls have two cats (not my idea) and the deal was that with two cats my girls would have to be in charge of feeding the cats and changing the litter. Well, I went down to our laundry area to iron my shirt this morning and what do I feel under my feet? Nothing but litter sand! This is a huge pet peeve! (pun intended)

So, being the kindhearted dad I am (sarcasm) I write a note to the girls with the effect that they need to get down and clean up the cat mess, because I just cannot stand litter on my bare feet.

Act 2: I go to work and my wife calls with the news that the girls were so happy I'd left a note only to find out it was a note from an unhappy dad. I have to admit this was pretty out of character for me. I got to thinking about what would happen if my father had done that to me early in the morning. Then I got to thinking how uncharacteristic a note like that would be from my Father. He left this huge love note for me to read every morning and how would I feel if it was just full of stuff that said 'do this and do that, love Dad!?' Well, I probably would not read those notes anymore and I probably would second guess my Father's love for me.

Needless to say, we've all blown it big time with our kids somewhere along the way, or at least we've felt like we did. I must say that I learned a huge lesson and had to give a huge apology to my girls because the letter I left could have been my last - and I don't want to be remembered as the dad who barked out the orders on a piece of scratch paper, but as the dad with the awesome love notes that started his girls' day off right. From now on, no more to do lists early in the morning, I'll be content to share my love first and concerns later.

This lesson learned is just like Jesus. He leaves this love letter to remind us of His great love. It's not this huge to do list that makes us feel inadequate from the early morning hours to late at night. His is a letter of encouragement and blessing to go out and have a great day. Man, I have a long way to go......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home